Sunday 7 November 2010

The Songs of Robert Burns - This is what I know.......

Dear friends - After John and I decided to produce an album to bring the songs of Robert Burns to life, I feel that I need to let my mind fly free and that I must record my thoughts that come from free flight unedited.Why Robert Burns? What drives my passion? Why do I feel this calling so deeply..................................

The song words and tune are there already - they move me so that my heart is pulled. I walk around with them in my conscious thoughts and they play in my dreams. I know what the intention is behind the words. I know what the universe wants them to say.

I need to create a landscape that can hold the song - to go to each song's land.

Sometimes I toil, sometimes I fly, sometimes I swim, sometimes I burn..... Some songs call for landscapes that are rough-hewn from the earth and stone, revealed through great struggle. Other songs need to be lifted from the pull of the earth and all it's limitations - free to fly and sparkle in kaleidoscope silver. 

There are burning songs that pulsate within and are a constant longing of the body's needs. Others are a hand lifting the petal of a flower to marvel in it's simplicity.

Burns knew all of these things. He knew the light and the longing, the stoor and the smeddum, the rage and the retribution. He weighed heavy under the words until connection came. Then the words flowed and the sanctuary of creation was his relief.

This is what I know.   

No comments:

Post a Comment