Sunday 14 November 2010

The Songs of Robert Burns - Finding the voice

Recording the vocal for Parcel of Rogues. Six hours later and I'm still searching for the spirit of the song.  I was so sure that I had the voice when I was singing in the car or round the house, but as soon as I have to be completely at one with the piano part and connect, I feel lost. I will try to explain.

In every song there is a spirit that want to sing through me. I am just the channel. This spirit is a woman in her early forties, but feels much older. She is gracious and sad. The girl still sings in her heart, but experience has arrested her instincts. She knows the soil and the stillness of the land. She watches progress and grows weary with the dying of the old ways. The land is flesh of her flesh and bone of her bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment